Portrait of Juliet from Croquis Cafe

11:19:00

Portrait of Juliet from Croquis Cafe

A portrait with special attention to tone

A hand drawn portrait of a lovely girl with classical beauty.
Portrait of Julia from Croquis Cafe in Conte on toned grey paper 21X27.9 by Dina Kalo
I decided to play around with my newly purchased Conte a Paris set and grey toned paper.

My main focus was to separate the values (light v dark) and these materials really play nicely towards this end. I find that this approach to drawing really allows me to emphasises on the specific design elements. In this case, it was the 11 o'clock lighting really pushes the drawing out of the paper for that 3D look. 

I tried to reduce the contrast in the dark areas to draw the viewer to the more detailed light areas, helping the eye to focus on the face of the subject.

I love making these but I always feel awkward to ask, so if you're interested in modeling for a portrait, please don't be shy. 

You can contact me on instagram to let me know you'd like to model.  :)


You Might Also Like

0 comments