Pet Portraits! For the love of Hamsters.

08:32:00

Misty, Little Bear and Bobby!

I've been flooded with commissions for hamster portraits this holiday season and it's been a delight painting each one! A big thank you to all my clients who entrusted me with their beloved pet's portrait!
painting by dina kalo commissioned by Georgia
Little Bear the Hamster,
by Dina Kalo fine art.
A4 acrylics on stretched canvas

If I'm not mistaken, they're all 'syrian hamsters'. 
They may look like little fur balls, but they have the subtlest shades and highlights that present a little challenge even for the most experienced artist! 
And those sweet beady little eyes... :)
All three clients requested their hamster's name in the portrait, so I tried to find ways to incorporate the name using fonts that reflect the character of the animal.

Which is your favourite?





painting by dina kalo commissioned by Georgia
Misty the Hamster, A5 acrylics on stretched canvas


painting by dina kalo commissioned by Georgia
Bobby the Hamster,A4 acrylics on stretched canvas





I believe I've reached the 'expert level' as far as these little cuties are concerned! Georgia, the proud owner of Misty, is thinking of having all six of her hamsters done! It might end up being like a the painting My Wife's Lovers, by Carl Kahler 1891, featuring his wife's 42 cats :)

My Wife's Lovers, Carl Kahler 1891


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Haha, these are beautiful! It never crossed my mind to create pet portraits of hamsters :)

    /Nabil @ SketchGrowl Pet Portraits

    ReplyDelete